Sunday, August 5, 2012

Have Fun With Eyes On The Prize

Hello world!!!

Happy Sunday! This past Friday, I went bowling with some of my co-workers after work. This was my second time bowling. The first time I bowled, I learned the basics but performed horribly. This second time was no different, my scores were pitiful to look at. I was able to get double digit scores, but could not break the triple digit mark. Lucky for me, my team members were fantastic bowlers so my pitiful scores didn't hinder us in winning. I think the first mistake I made that resulted to my poor scores was that I admitted defeat before we even started bowling. I made statements to my co-workers such as "I suck at bowling," "be prepared for my horrible skills," and "please don't be mad at me if we lose." Thinking or speaking of defeat when in a challenge is never helpful.

Another mistake I made was I forgot the purpose of being at the bowling alley, which was to relax and have fun with my co-workers. I got caught up in the game, all in the name of winning and scoring higher points, rather than having a good time. I recall that the first time I bowled I had lots of fun, and my scores were even more pitiful then. It is okay to be competitive but sometimes the experience is more worthwhile during the competition. As time went by, I got lots of coaching from my team members and those of the opposing team. They encouraged me to focus more on the skills rather than the scores, which was a very valuable advice. Also, I learned not to be too hard on myself, especially when others are cheering me on. Stress and fun do not work well together. I needed to believe in myself. After a while, I started focusing on how to improve my skills and staying calm.
Photo from my first bowling experience earlier this year

Also, I realized I was focused on how the others played and tried to copy their moves. One of my supervisors told me that I shouldn't look at how others perform but just work with my body and see what my skills are. In life, we tend to be so focused on what others are doing and lose attention on ourselves.  We lose originality and confidence in ourselves, and perform as others because that is what we idealize as "success." I listened to the many advice that I was given based on their varying techniques, and made them my own and find my niche. It is not all advice that one gets is applicable to their personal life. What also worked as a disadvantage for me was that I was trying to impress the other players and show them that I am a force to reckon with in bowling. Obviously, I was wrong about that too!

In the end, I had the lowest scores but I did better and even made a couple of strikes. Which felt awesome, and everyone was genuinely happy for me knowing how much hard work I was putting towards improving my skills and scores. I put more attention to relaxation and skills, and I had fun. I am pleased with myself that I decided to play regardless of my premeditated loss and did not quit during the game. Anything is possible with hard work, perseverance, with a little fun on the other side.

I am sharing this moment in my life with you because the lessons I learned from it are not just applicable to bowling, but life in general. No matter what your focus may be, keep your eyes on the prize, and do not give up. Have fun during the experience, and soak in every moment. 

Have a great week, everyone!!!


Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA


Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...