Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It Was Red At First Sight: Miss Sierra Leone USA Meets Sheryl Lee Ralph

Hello world!!!

Last wednesday, I attended a book signing and discussion event with Ms. Sheryl Lee Ralph in Maryland. Her new book, Redefining Diva: Life Lessons from the Original Dreamgirl, is a great read, and I'm glad that I have my copy. I decided to attend this event because I grew up watching her on Moesha and have followed her public work since then. I've always admired her work, and how she always presents herself on the big screen and small screen. Ms. Ralph is also a HIV/AIDS awareness activist, and promotes the importance of HIV testing to singles and couples. Being that my personal platform as Miss Sierra Leone USA is SHERO, I thought this was a great opportunity to advocate for giving [S]ervice, awareness on [H]ealth, and making use of life's [O]pportunities.

With Ms. Sheryl Lee Ralph

Getting an up close and live view of Ms. Ralph was fantastic because she was just as beautiful in person as on screen. She was also very sweet, and I love how humble she is regardless of her fame. She is a well-spoken woman full of grace and strength. As she spoke and read throughout the evening, I admired her confidence and tranquility. She's also very funny. 

Ms. Ralph reading her book on stage
Ms. Ralph is an American (television, film, and stage) actress, singer, and activist. She began her career on stage as Deena Jones, in the original musical, Dreamgirls. At the event, she proudly said that she was a Jamerican, because of her Jamaican and American parents. Sheryl Lee Ralph is currently touring the one-woman play, "Sometimes I Cry," a production written and performed by Ms. Ralph. This play explores the lives, loves, and losses of women infected and affected by HIV/AIDS.

Ms. Ralph reading her book on stage
At this event, Ms. Ralph spoke about what she believes are the many definitions of the word "diva" and what it means to be one. She believes that "A Diva loves the woman she sees in the mirror. A Diva owns her talent and her strength. A Diva knows the first step on the road to fame is respecting herself" (Busboys and Poets). With this and many other things said, I found her talk to be very empowering and inspiring for girls, women, and society as a whole. There are many life lessons she shares in her new book, and I recommend it to all because it's a great read. With some of society's negative connotations of the word "diva," I believe the message of diva being "a person of strength, character, and a beauty that radiates from within" is conveyed in Ms. Ralph's book.


In her new book, one of the many things she discusses is her experience of being the only Black girl in a private school she attended as a little girl, she stated "I was the only Black girl in a sea of white people" and talked lengthily about her experiences and features that made her different from her classmates and teachers. When she was sharing her story, it reminded me of the fact that I am the only Black/African girl in the Mining and Minerals Engineering department at my university and internship, and also part of the small percentage of women in engineering at my university. But just like how I make the best out of my experiences, Ms. Ralph was able to make it through even though she was different! When asked what is her motivation to keep going strong in life, she gave all praises to her parents and family. It was beautiful to hear some of her family stories. It was interesting hearing some similarities with Jamaicans and Sierra Leoneans. We really all are just the same when you think about it, but just scattered in different places.



We were bonding

The moment captured in the pictures above and below is something that I will forever cherish because it shows how excited we both were to see each other for the first time. It was humbling to hear her say she's excited to meet me, even though she had never heard of or seen me in the past. I love when public figures show humility. She also gave me some advice with regards to my reign and life in general. How sweet!

I made Sheryl Lee blush? Mission accomplished!




With Sylvie Bello (Founder/President of Cameroonian American Council) and Ms. Sheryl Lee Ralph

Lola, a beautiful and so sweet lady I met at the event

Another new friend I made, she was very sweet
She's also a pageant girl/titleholder

Fun Fact: The title of this post is related to the fact that me and Sheryl were wearing red lipstick. For those that know me personally know that red is my favorite color, and wearing red lipstick is my signature. Seeing Sheryl with red lipstick made me just love her more. I don't know if this is true, but I think red may be her favorite color as well, because I've seen her wear red in many photos.

Ruby B. Johnson
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA

SOURCE:
Biography of Sheryl Lee Ralph

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...