Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Miss Sierra Leone USA Volunteers at Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes

Hello world!!!

Hope you and yours are doing fantastic. I'm doing awesome, thanks be to God! This past Saturday I volunteered at Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes by the American Diabetes Association in Greenville, South Carolina. It was an early start for volunteers, so we were required to have been at the location between 7:15-7:30am, but me being the type who loves being on time I arrived there few minutes before 7am and I overestimated how long of a drive it'd take me to get there; I always prefer to be early than late, so it was great for me to get situated earlier than other volunteers with my task for the event. I was put in the section for getting racers to take individual and team photos. I got to hang out with the event photographers, Mary and Alan, who were a very sweet couple. As I mentioned in the previous post, Fall season is in full session and the mornings have been very cold, so it was a smart idea for me to have gone to the event with a blazer on and my favorite red sweater as back-up (even though I was still freezing). But, I warmed up a couple hours later and the awesome music the DJ played got me more pumped up.
Behind that smile was a VERY COLD Miss Sierra Leone USA
Tag caption: "I'm walking for N'Turay Kamara" That's my maternal grandma!
Fact: Diabetes mellitus, commonly known as diabetes, is a group of diseases characterized by high blood glucose levels that result from defects in the body's ability to produce and/or use insulin. Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults, and was previously known as juvenile diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes. Millions of people worldwide have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and many more are unaware they are at high risk. Some groups have a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes than others. Type 2 diabetes is more common in people of color, as well as the aged population. Gestational diabetes starts when your body is not able to make and use all the insulin it needs for pregnancy. Without enough insulin, glucose cannot leave the blood and be changed to energy. Glucose builds up in the blood to high levels. This is called hyperglycemia.
I had to get off my chair and move around a bit to warm up
Fact: Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose for energy. When you eat food, the body breaks down all of the sugars and starches into glucose, which is the basic fuel for the cells in the body. Insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells. When glucose builds up in the blood instead of going into cells, it can lead to diabetes complications.
The reason why I decided to be involved with this event and help raise awareness with this cause is because it relates to 2 pillars of my personal platform (S.H.E.R.O) as Miss Sierra Leone USA, which are Service and Health. I love giving my time to causes and organizations that work towards the betterment and uplift of our communities, and I saw this event as a great example of that; also, I believe that there should be ongoing dialogue about diabetes in our communities. My maternal grandmother is another reason why I believe in the importance of this cause, and she's a very strong woman that I love and adore for her strength, regardless of living with diabetes in her now older days.
The two photos below are of the three new friends I made during my time at the event. These awesome kids are Jerry, Diane, and Anthony; these three and their family were just the sweetest people ever and I had fun chatting with them and getting to know the family for the little while I could. In the United States, there are 215,000 people under 20 years of age that have diabetes, and Jerry is one of them. His adopted brother and sister were there to support and walk with him to help stop diabetes. The red shirts that they are wearing are worn by Red Striders, these are people living with diabetes and walk in Step Out as Red Striders, and their loved ones can wear the shirts with them also.

Jerry, Diana, and Anthony
After the walk was over, I got to hang out with my 3 buddies again, but this time I was ambushed with lots of love and kisses. While carrying Diana after she reached out for a hug, she kept trying to wipe off the lipstick on my lips and wanted to figure out what it was. While she was playing detective with my face, Anthony gave me a couple of kisses on the cheeks while they said goodbye. Such sweet kids!!!
Riley and Rowan
Another awesome sister-brother duo who I believe were the happiest and most energetic at the event
Fact: According to recent studies, 1-6% of Africans living on the African continent and 10-13% or more in the Caribbean and North America have diabetes, and approximately 25% of these patients are insulin treated. Unfortunately, diabetics in Sierra Leone and other African nations struggle to afford insulin, and at least half of those with diabetes are undiagnosed.
Abeni was very excited about the walk, and had a great time walking with her mom, a very sweet lady
Fact: Diabetes can be especially hard on women. The burden of diabetes on women is unique because the disease can affect both mothers and their unborn children. Diabetes can cause difficulties during pregnancy such as a miscarriage or a baby born with birth defects. Women with diabetes are also more likely to have a heart attack, and at a younger age, than women without diabetes. (Women and Diabetes).
Persons with diabetes, their families, loved ones, friends, etc. getting warmed up for the Walk
So why do a walk to raise awareness on diabetes? Well, "when you walk, you help Stop Diabetes. Walking is one of the easiest, most relaxing forms of exercise for many people, but especially for those living with diabetes. Walking helps control blood glucose levels in people with diabetes and improves overall quality of life. It is also an activity that can help prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in people at risk" (American Diabetes Association).
Baby Bethany
I have to give a special shout-out to this special little lady in the photo above. Baby Bethany was out there with her dad in the early cold morning and warmer afternoon for the event and took part in the Walk, and she's only 5 months! Now that's a phenomenal woman-in-the-making if I may say.
Robin Longino
Associate Director, Greenville American Diabetes Association
The phenomenal and sweet woman that coordinated this Event to be such a success
Fact: November is American Diabetes Month.
Had to take a photo, I loved her shirt!
... and YES WE DO!!!
Jade Hindmon
Event MC
Weekend Anchor and Weekday Reporter for FOX Carolina News Tonight
Although I didn't get to do the Walk with the others, I decided to make this sign to show my love and support. My handwriting isn't awesome, but what counts is the thought. It reads, "I Walk for Granny N'Turay and All Sierra Leoneans with Diabetes."
I loved their team shirts
3 little cuties!!!
They were one of my favorite teams
Please visit the sites I have attached in this post, and learn more about diabetes. Know your family's health history, maintain a healthy diet, exercise, and know your body, because these things can help to stop diabetes in our communities.


Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA


Sources:
Diabetes in Africans
Diabetes Statistics



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...