Sunday, July 8, 2012

What is S.H.E.R.O to Miss Sierra Leone USA?

Happy Sunday!!!

One of the reasons I decided to create this blog is to update everyone as my reign continues on how my platform develops. One of the pillars of being a Miss Sierra Leone USA Women's Leadership and Scholarship Pageant contestant is having a platform to work on. My personal platform is advocating for SHERO, which stands for Service, Health, Education, Rights, and Opportunities. The national platform of the MSLUSA organization is improving maternal and infant health in Sierra Leone.

2012 Miss Sierra Leone USA Pageant contestants
Before my involvement in this pageant system, my lifelong platform has been empowering girls and women in all communities. To build up on that, I decided to start my own non-profit organization in November 2010 called When You Believe Foundation, Inc. The mission of this organization is "to do outreach, raise awareness, provide assistance, enhance the lifestyle, promote self-sufficiency, and empower girls and women in our communities." Over the past year and half, WYBF has been nothing less than a blessing in my life because it has served as an opportunity to work and meet phenomenal girls and women in all works of life. Another platform that I have worked on since high school was advocating for autism awareness. Through volunteerism and blogging, I have been able to educate many about the autism spectrum disorder (ASD) because I believe that together we can all solve the puzzle.

Healthy Lifestyle For Her 2012 - Annual women's health event done by WYBF
SHERO. I chose this as my platform in the MSLUSA system because it covers five important pillars that is needed in the development of Sierra Leone. With service, I plan to promote and advocate service and volunteerism to all in the diaspora as well as native Sierra Leoneans back home. With health, I plan to create initiatives and means of outreach creating dialogue and actions towards physical and nutritional health among girls, women, youth, and the general community. Education is usually referred to as the key to success, but alongside with experience, I believe that both things are vital in women's advancement as well as community development. Rights and responsibilities are vital in order for the acknowledgement of self-worth. Opportunities must be created and used for the development of individuals and our community because I believe that we must lift others as we climb.

2012 MSLUSA Pageant contestants
In upcoming blog posts, I will get into further details about these 5 pillars of my platform, and also why they are personally significant.

I wish you all peace, courage, and many blessings. Have a fantastic week!!!

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012

Photo courtesy:
Life Depicted Photography
When You Believe Foundation, Inc.
AfroFusion Lounge

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

1 comment:

  1. Hello girls, Do you want to increase your Breast size? Just watch this Youtube video: Easy Seven way That Will Naturally Increase Your Breast Size

    Are you Pregnancy. There are 15 useful tips for your. Just Watch this Youtube Video: 15 Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy

    Do you need to Control your Blood sugar or Diabetic. Just Watch this youtube video: How to keep blood sugar levels normal and stable

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...