Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Give Back Through Service, It's Mandela Day

Hello world!!!

Hope your week has been splendid so far. Today is Mandela Day! Nelson Mandela International Day is dedicated to Madiba's life's work and activism in his native home of South Africa and globally, as well as maintaining his legacy. The campaign message of this day is that "Mr. Mandela gave 67 years of his life fighting for the rights of humanity. All we are asking that everyone gives 67 minutes of their time, whether it's supporting your chosen charity or serving your local community."
My personal platform as Miss Sierra Leone USA is advocating for SHERO, which I briefly explained in a previous blog entry. In SHERO, S is for service. Giving back and serving members of society has been one of the building blocks that has positively changed my attitude in life and growth to become the well-rounded woman that I am today. I believe that we as individuals must serve our communities no matter how much or less we have. I believe that community service is the lifelong payment that we must give during our time on Mother Earth. Service is essential in the growth of individuals when done for the right reasons due to selflessness and exudes one's potential. Also, by staying busy with service projects, it eradicates the existence of violence, idleness, and destruction among members of society.
Give a helping hand!
My passion for community service was gained in high school when I started volunteering at a camp for children with autism, and also when I was a student in African Immigrant and Refugee Foundation's Catching Up Program. As an active feminist, I decided to start my non-profit organization, When You Believe Foundation a year and half ago. In addition, I have been involved with several fantastic organizations that concentrate on topics such as autism awareness, domestic violence, education, sexism, self-esteem, heart health, increase in women in the STEM (science, math, technology, engineering) fields, etc.

There are many opportunities out there for volunteerism, and I highly recommend you all to seek knowledge and get involved. In my opinion, I think in order to perform well in tasks is to have passion; therefore, I recommend getting involved with service projects that are related to your areas of interest. Feel free to contact me if you need help with getting involved, I will be more than happy to send you several suggestions such as Womentorship Program.

P.S.: THANK YOU to our women and men that serve us in all works of life in the public and private sphere. I appreciate your contribution to the betterment of society.

Ruby B. Johnson
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA

SOURCE:
Mandela Day
Cultural Bridges
Mandela Day 2010
Mandela Day 2011
When You Believe Foundation

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...