Thursday, July 5, 2012

First 4 Days as Miss Sierra Leone USA!!!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13. This is what I said to myself before the announcement of the Top 3 contestants on Sunday night. At the beginning of the pageant weekend, I prayed to the Almighty that I will do my part and work hard, and if it is the Lord's will for me to get the title on crowning night, then let thy will be done.

Announcement of Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012
It's been 4 days since I was crowned Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012, and I am slowly coming to consciousness of the title I have been given. A part of me is very honored and excited about this, and I couldn't be more proud to represent the land that I love, Republic of Sierra Leone, in the United States. However, another part of me is a bit anxious about the weight that this title carries. Former MSLUSA queens and contestants have raised the bar very high in the past years and I know that as a titleholder, I must do nothing less. But I know that I entered this pageant with a purpose, and during my reign by God's grace I will perform with excellence and nothing less.

If I could explain what this title means to me, I would say that having this title means that I serve as an ambassador for peace and empowerment for Sierra Leonean girls, women, youth, and the general community in the United States. Advocating for my platform, SHERO (Service, Health, Education, Rights, Opportunities), adds more purpose to my adventures as Miss Sierra Leone USA. In addition, I look forward to advocating on the national platform of the MSLDC/MSLUSA organization which is improving maternal and infant health in Sierra Leone.

Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012 Top 3
"The ball is in your court. It's either you take it, or you let someone else take it" is something that Junior Miss Sierra Leone USA 2008, Janet Lagah-Bona, told me a month ago with regards to the MSLUSA pageant. The motivation and perseverance that I took from that quote is what I will continue to adhere to during my reign. I look forward to the blessings, accomplishments, opportunities, partnerships, and life-changing moments that are to come with this title as Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012 Queens
Left to right: Fatmata Barrie (1st Runner-up),
Ruby B. Johnson - Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012-2014,
Adiatu Bangura (2nd Runner-up)
Photo courtesy of AfroFusion Lounge


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...