Saturday, June 28, 2014

Miss Sierra Leone USA Attends 2014 Launch of Just Stand, Inc.

Hello world!!!

I hope you and yours are doing well. Over the past month I've been occupied with my studies, and also the Maryland Primary Election. I worked during the early voting sessions, and served for the first time as a Chief Elections Judge on election day. I'm thankful to God for my performance, and it's always a pleasure to perform my civic duty as an American and serve my great state of Maryland. As a result of my busy professional and academic life, I'm a bit behind on blogging; I'm also starring in an upcoming classic Sierra Leonean play this August, and I'll share details in future blogs in case you didn't see it on my Facebook page. With all this going on, I'm doing my best to catch up on my blogging about my recent appearances/events. Now let's fast forward... last Saturday, I attended the launching of Just Stand, Inc. and served as one of the speakers.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Just Stand, Inc. is a new non-profit organization that works to stop the cycle of sexual and domestic violence in the African Diaspora in the District of Columbia Metropolitan area, primarily Sierra Leonean. The motto of Just Stand is "Stand and Stop the Cycle of Sexual and Domestic Violence." According to Miatta, "Our vision is parallel to our mission in life, which is to empower young girls to be the peculiar beings God has created them to be" and their mission is "...to raise up an army of virtuous women and girls who do not walk in fear, but power and courage." According to members of Just Stand, the purpose of this organization is to raise funds and create awareness for victims/survivors of sexual and domestic violence in the African and Washington Metropolitan Diaspora.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and Miatta Mamie Sandy (Founder/CEO of Just Stand, Inc.)
In the photo above, I am pictured with Miss Miatta Mamie Sandy, Founder/CEO of Just Stand, Inc. A dynamic young lady, Miatta decided to literally take a stand against sexual and domestic violence in the community, specifically among the Sierra Leonean diaspora, and created this organization. In addition to being the CEO of Just Stand, Miatta is the reigning Miss Sierra Leone Maryland 2014 and finalist in the upcoming Miss Sierra Leone USA 2014 pageant.
Miss FA Cole (advocate and author) and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
At the event, I spoke about the importance of Miatta's cause in the community and women's empowerment. I talked about my platforms of advocating for SHERO and women in STEM as Miss Sierra Leone USA. In addition, Miatta asked me to talk about the work of When You Believe Foundation, Inc. (my baby!!!), so I talked about WYBF's mission in promoting self sufficiency and enhancing the lifestyle of girls and women in all communities. In addition to Miatta sharing her personal story, other guest speakers shared powerful and inspiring stories. One of the guest speakers was Miss FA Cole, a powerful woman of God and multiple forms of abuse survivor. She is a motivational speaker and the author of "Distant Sunrise – The Strength in her Pain to Forgive." Over the past couple months while working on our upcoming stage play, I've gotten to know and admire Miss Cole and her endeavors in empowering women and speaking up for the silent.
Queen Afi Gaston, Miss Miatta M. Sandy, Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Another phenomenal woman that served as a speaker was Queen Afi Gaston. Queen Afi is the Founder/CEO of Domestic Violence Wears Many Tags, an organization that caters to women, men, and teens that victims and abusers of domestic violence. I've known Queen Afi for more than three years and collaborated with her several times with her and her organization for my organization, When You Believe Foundation, Inc. She is not only a wonderful and passionate woman, but is a big sister to me and has taught me so much.
Left-Right:
Queen Afi Gaston (Founder/CEO of Domestic Violence Wears Many Tags), Miss Miatta M. Sandy (Founder/CEO of Just Stand, Inc.), and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson (Founder/CEO of When You Believe Foundation, Inc.)
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson, Miss FA Cole, Miss Miatta M. Sandy, and Miss Nefertiti Brown (spoken-word artist)
In addition to the speakers and Miatta's keynote speech, there was a spoken-word performance by Miss Nefertiti Brown, dance performance by Miss Jessim, and praise dance by young girls choreographed by Miatta from her Church. It was also lovely to see how supportive Miatta's Church family is of her and her efforts. That's a blessing to have. The refreshment given out at the event was also very delicious.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and Miss Sierra Leone Maryland 2014 Miatta Mamie Sandy (CEO of Just Stand, Inc.)
I wish Miatta and her Just Stand, Inc. team all the best. She has taken up a big and relevant cause, and I wish her God's many blessings in her endeavors. Overall, this was an empowering and enlightening event, and I'm happy to have been part of the birth of Miatta's baby.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Trust your own instincts, go inside, follow your heart. Right from the start. go ahead and stand up for what you believe in. As I've learned, that's the path to happiness. - Lesley Ann Warren

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page
Follow me on Twitter @MissSaloneUSA
Follow me on Instagram @MissSierraLeoneUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...