Thursday, November 15, 2012

Miss Sierra Leone USA Volunteers at Unity Walk - Walk Against Racism

Hello world!!!

Hope all is well with you and yours. I've been doing awesome, thanks to the Almighty. I've had a very educational and entertaining past couple of days working at a granite quarry, and the future Mining Engineer in me has been enjoying every moment of the experience. I am very grateful for the Company I've been working for and the many opportunities they've given me. Apart from wearing my hard hat and steel-toe boots this week, I got to volunteer this past Saturday at YWCA Greenville's First Unity Walk - Walk Against Racism.
Left to Right:
Volunteers/YWCA Greenville Board Members - Julia, Eli, and Andrea
With my fellow volunteers
Being the reigning Miss Sierra Leone USA, I am honored to represent two amazing countries blessed with diverse people and I saw this event as a great way to celebrate diversity. Being the fact that I was a volunteer, I was not able to see the Opening Ceremonies because I had to be situated at my station (which was a mile away) before the event started, and couldn't be part of the Walk; however, I was able to chat with fellow volunteers and other walkers when my shift was over.
With my fellow volunteers - Eli and Julia

On the job!!!
Julia and I were assigned to a station and our task was to be traffic directors. The sign reads, "Turn Around!" We made a great team, and we did an awesome job of keeping walkers excited and pumped. With Julia giving high-fives to the walkers and me jumping (as a Hokie would to Metallica's "Enter Sandman") with the sign, I believe our mission was accomplished!!!
S in SHERO (my personal platform as Miss SLUSA) is for Service and one of my mission is to promote volunteerism and to live by this during my time of service as Miss SLUSA!!!
Face-painting booth
One of the many things that got me interested in this event was how beautiful the flyer was, and one of the captions on it read "Eliminating Racism, Empowering Women." I think that is a very powerful message, and it speaks volume.
Stand Against Racism!!!
I am very happy to have been part of this event's success, and I hope that the YWCA makes it an annual event. As it is popularly said, "United We Stand, Divided We Fall!"



Have a great weekend, and keep Sierra Leone in your prayers for a peaceful General Elections this Saturday. May God bless the Republic of Sierra Leone!!!




Ruby B. Johnson
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...