Thursday, July 11, 2013

Miss Sierra Leone USA Attends 2013 Fullah Progressive Union Cultural Picnic

 Hello world!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well. I'm doing awesome, and feeling grateful for all the opportunities the Almighty has been blessing me with lately. This past Saturday, I attended the Annual Cultural Picnic by the Fullah Progressive Union - The Fottal-Et-Pottal; there was a picnic during the day, and Awards ceremony in the evening. The purpose of this event was to celebrate the culture of the Fullahs/Fulanis/Peuls/Fulbeh in West, Central, and North Africa regions such as the Fullahs of Sierra Leone, Mali, Cameroon, Nigeria, Phottal Fi Mantal (Guinea), Harlepular (Senegal and Mauritania), Sagatta Group (Senegal, Burkina Faso, Niger), etc. In addition, there was a soccer tournament between Sierra Leone and Guinea (winner), and awards were presented to the FPU 2013 Student Graduates with their parents/guardians/spouses going to college/university and professional life.
Left-Right:
Miss Binta, Miss Isha, Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson, and Miss Assatou
In the photo above, I'm pictured with the ladies that asked me the most questions, and I did my very best to answer them all; these intelligent and beautiful girls are very proud Sierra Leonean Fula women. They asked me how I became Miss Sierra Leone USA, what I do as Miss SLUSA, if I have a crown, if I get to wear heels, they requested seeing pictures of me during my reign so far as Miss SLUSA on my camera, they expressed their desire to one day visit Sierra Leone and asked what Salone is like, and the list of questions and comments goes on! Assatou stated that she now wants to become Miss Sierra Leone USA and I told her that she should definitely go for that dream when she becomes 18 years old, her immediate question was "you're 18?" and I responded telling her that I am past 18 and actually 22; her mouth dropped and she said she thought I was much younger than that. After speaking with them for a while I moved on to talk with other people at the event, and then Binta walked towards me and pulled me closer and said "I like you, I will vote for you!" and I responded saying thank you. I wish there was a voting process to become Miss Sierra Leone USA again, because I know I've already secured one vote from Miss Binta!
Mr. Mohamed Lamrana Bah (President of the Fullah Progressive Union)
and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Left-Right:
Ms. Assiatou Jalloh Kamara (Vice President of Fullah Progressive Union),
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson, and FPU Member
The Fullah Progressive Union organization was formed in 1967 in Sierra Leone, and founded in  1972 in the United States. This cultural picnic is an annual event hosted by the FPU and according to FPU President, Mr. Mohamed Lamrana Bah, it is a time to celebrate culture and acknowledge the accomplishments of its members. One of his key advice to all was "loving yourself is not hating someone else" and each individual must be proud of their heritage and culture. Mr. Ben Jalloh, FPU Founding Member and former President from New Jersey, stated that the purpose of an event such as this is "starting a culture of reunification" of the Fullah/Fulani/Peul/Fulbeh people, and although they have been separated by artificial boundaries (now known as nations) created during the invasion of Europeans on the African continent, it is time for all to unite. An advice that was given specifically to the FPU graduates but I believe should be acted upon by all of us is to never forget religion and culture; the FPU school started in 1987.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson with Zainab and Bella with nephew
Mr. Mohamed L. Bah (President of FPU) and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
The High Table during the Awards Ceremony
Left-Right: Mr. Mohamed Lamrana Bah, Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson, and Mr. Ben Jalloh
I had a great time mingling with my fellow Africans, and getting to know more about the Fullah/Fulani/Peul/Fulbeh culture. FPU is a fantastic organization that is doing so much for its community, and for Sierra Leone as a whole.

Ramadan Mubarak to all my Muslim sisters and brothers. I wish you peace, courage, and many blessings!

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...