Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Miss Sierra Leone USA Speaks With Paint Branch High Students About STEM Fields

Hello world!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well. I'm doing fantastic, thanks be to God. On June 6th, I visited Paint Branch High School and spoke with students in a "Women in Engineering" seminar. My robotics club mentor (Mr. Raymond Jenkins) in high school, who now teaches at Paint Branch, invited me to speak with the women students that have interest in engineering careers in the future. Being that my platform is advocating for the recruitment and retention of girls/women in STEM (Science. Technology. Engineering. Mathematics) fields, this seminar was very important and relevant to me.
Mr. Raymond Jenkins (Paint Branch Teacher) introducing
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Thank you for the sign, Mr. Jenkins
I had a wonderful time talking with the ladies and some guys that attended about my path to mining and minerals engineering and coursework at Virginia Tech. I talked about: my career goals as a young girl; my developed interest in STEM-related courses and activities in high school; my experience as a member of robotics club and going to robotics competitions; my experiences as a woman in a field that predominantly consists of men; racism and sexism in STEM fields; what it means to be a Sierra Leonean/African woman in a non-conventional field; my STEM-related activities at Virginia Tech; my co-op internship experience last year; getting college scholarships and grants; the importance of doing internships and co-operative education (co-op) internships; and many more. I answered the many questions the students had about engineering professions, as well as my life as Miss Sierra Leone USA. 
Paint Branch High students
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and students of Paint Branch High
Some of the students told me that they were of Nigerian, Ghanaian, Jamaican ancestry, and felt empowered that a Brown-skinned woman like me was in this position, and could relate to me in many ways. I spoke to the students about my platform as Miss Sierra Leone USA, which is Advocating for SHERO, and the importance of education (a pillar in my platform). Some of the girls loved the fact that I was also Miss Sierra Leone USA because they explained that they are girlie girls but also have interest in STEM fields and always thought that those two passions cannot be combined. I made emphasis to the girls that it is possible to be a girl and love STEM-related activities. It's okay to be a woman and get dirty, use big tools, operate grand machinery, perform scientific experiments, and many more. The students loved that I have a variety of interests that are not connected but I do it all.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013 speaks with Paint Branch High School girls about STEM fields
I shared my story of wanting to be a lawyer as a young girl, but changed my mind in 9th grade in high school. One of the girls mentioned to me that she can relate to me, and that she's always wanted to be a lawyer but is now considering the option of becoming an engineer. I told her that the way she feels is perfectly normal, and let her follow her heart. Also, I told her that since I was in her predicament few years ago, I was advised by one of my mentors/teachers in high school who told me I could also go to law school after getting my engineering degree and practice patent law or be a lawyer for engineers. After talking with her further, I could tell she was more at peace with her situation and I know she will make a great decision for her bright future. While I was in high school, I noticed that some career services staff intentionally do not talk about STEM majors in college/university to the girl students, so I let them know that they should ask about those as well, and let them know that they have interest in those.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013 speaks with girl students interested in STEM fields
Paint Branch High School students interested in STEM fields
Since Paint Branch also has a robotics club, I told the students that I highly recommend that they join it. Thanks to the robotics club at my former high school, I got to learn how to use various machines (band saw, drill, etc.), practice teamwork, and learn about various things related to the technology and engineering world. I also recommended some courses that they can take while in high school that can be of benefit to them, such as physics, algebra, calculus, foundations of engineering, geometry, etc. A student shared her concern that she feels it is too late to get into courses like this since she was on a different path, and has a year more to graduate from high school. I told her that she's still young and should never feel that it's too late; I explained to her that she should discuss with her Academic Advisor and see what they can do to accommodate any of these classes in her next schedule. I shared my story to her of switching my major very late while in college, but my choice of getting into the mining engineering department is one of the best decisions I've made in life, and I have no regrets about having a later graduation date.
Paint Branch High School students
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013 Speaks with girl students interested in STEM fields
The girls in this photo below stayed after the seminar was over to ask more questions. They were excused by Mr. Jenkins to stay back, and I'm happy I was able to answer their questions. I gave the students my contact information so that they contact me for further information and questions they may have. I am very thankful for my awesome mentor, Mr. Jenkins for creating this seminar and giving me a platform to reach out to these amazing and brilliant ladies and guys. Overall, I had a great time with the students, and I wish them excellence and nothing less for the future.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 and students of Paint Branch High School
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 and students of Paint Branch High School

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...