Saturday, December 28, 2013

Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013 Serves Breakfast At SOME

Hello world!!!

Happy Holidays, everyone. I hope you and yours are doing well. I've been doing fantastic and enjoying every moment of this holiday season surrounded by love, family, and friends. Yesterday morning, I volunteered at So Others Might Eat, Inc. (SOME) serving breakfast. A month ago, I served breakfast at SOME, and it is always a pleasure being of help to the SOME staff and folks in need. My personal platform as Miss Sierra Leone USA is Advocating for SHERO, S stands for Service.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
SOME before sunrise
The reason why I choose to serve breakfast at SOME in contrast to lunch or dinner is because I believe that breakfast is a very important meal and can determine the outcome of one's day. Eating a nutritious meal early in the morning provides energy and sets the pace for an individual's mood to start their day. Being that I personally handed out the food to the individuals, I believe that saying "good morning" with a big smile and cheerful countenance can help to brighten the individual's day.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Fact: So Others Might Eat (SOME) is the only interfaith, community-based organization in the District of Columbia that offers a comprehensive, holistic approach to caring for the homeless and extremely poor citizens of the city. SOME exists to help the poor and homeless of our nation's capital. They meet the immediate daily needs of the people they serve with food, clothing, and health care. They help break the cycle of homelessness by offering services, such as affordable housing, job training, addiction treatment, and counseling, to the poor, the elderly and individuals with mental illness. Each day, SOME is restoring hope and dignity one person at a time.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Be a Queen with a Crown and a Cause
The work of the SOME staff is fantastic, but the contribution of volunteers is vital. It is always great to meet the folks I volunteer with and see their passion to serve their community. I met a nice gentleman from Ghana who was there to volunteer, and he told me that he was in the United States for the holidays; he mentioned that his young daughter is the reason he was there to volunteer. What a great way to spend time with one's child, and to serve those that do not have enough during the holiday season.
Mr. Charthell (SOME staff) and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Special thanks to Mr. Charthell, our volunteer supervisor for the breakfast service. Thank you for being a great host and coordinator throughout the whole process. Overall, I had a great time serving the people. It is always a humbling experience serving at SOME and I'm always grateful for the work this great organization does for those in need in our nation's capital. It is great to receive, but there is always great joy in giving to others and serving one's community. Have a great weekend, everyone.

You were put on this earth to achieve your greatest self, to live out your purpose, and to do it fearlessly. - Steve Maraboli

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page
Follow me on Twitter @MissSaloneUSA
Follow me on Instagram @MissSierraLeoneUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...