Tuesday, April 8, 2014

#IndSaloneTurns53 - Miss Sierra Leone USA Celebrates Independence Month 2014 (Week 1)

Hello world!!!

I hope you and yours are doing well. I am doing great, all thanks to the Almighty. Join me as I celebrate the Republic of Sierra Leone during the independence month in April. Throughout this month, I have been highlighting the history of our nation, as well as phenomenal women and men who have made significant impact in the nation at home and in diaspora communities worldwide. The conversation has already started, so find me on Facebooktwitter, or Instagram. Below is the list of things and people highlighted for the first week in April. To know more about my Independence activities on all social media, follow #IndSaloneTurns53
April 27, 1961 is Sierra Leone’s Independence Day. 

Day 1: Madam Adelaide Casely-Hayford
A Sierra Leone advocate, an activist for cultural nationalism, educator, short story writer, and feminist.
Madam Adelaide Casely-Hayford
Click photo to enlarge

Day 2: The Leone
Currency of the Republic of Sierra Leone
Leones
Click photo to enlarge

Day 3: Sir Milton Augustus Strieby Margai
Sierra Leone's Founding Father
Sir Milton Margai
Click photo to enlarge

Day 4: Madam Ella Koblo Gulama
A woman of many firsts & advocate for Sierra Leonean girls' education.
Madam Ella Koblo Gulama
Click photo to enlarge

Day 5: High We Exalt Thee, Realm of The Free
National anthem of the Republic of Sierra Leone
National Anthem of Sierra Leone
Click photo to enlarge
Personal story:
I remember singing the National Anthem every morning for assembly when I was at the Murraydeen Preparatory School and Methodist Girls' High School during assembly. We alternated singing one of the 3 stanzas. I could do the first stanza but the second and third was when I did my professional singing, meaning chammot.

Day 6: Regions of Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone map comprises of the Northern, Southern, Eastern Provinces, and Western Area.
Map: Regions of Sierra Leone
Click photo to enlarge

Day 7: Sierra Leone Flag
Green, White, and Blue
Sierra Leone Flag
Click photo to enlarge

Fellow citizens, here is our challenge. The prosperity of our country is in our hands. We have the capacity to turn things around. Let us accept the challenge and continue to uphold our national values - resourcefulness, excellence, tolerance, good neighborliness, generosity, honesty and self-esteem.
The late former President of the Republic of Sierra Leone, Alhaji Dr. Ahmad Tejan Kabbah.

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page
Follow me on Twitter @MissSaloneUSA
Follow me on Instagram @MissSierraLeoneUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...