Monday, April 21, 2014

#IndSaloneTurns53 - Miss Sierra Leone USA Celebrates Independence Month 2014 (Week 3)

Hello world!!!

I hope you and yours are doing well. I am doing great, all thanks to the Almighty. Join me as I celebrate the Republic of Sierra Leone during the independence month in April. Throughout this month, I have been highlighting the history of our nation, as well as phenomenal women and men who have made significant impact in the nation at home and in diaspora communities worldwide. The conversation has already started, so find me on Facebooktwitter, or Instagram. Below is the list of things and people highlighted for the third week in April. To know more about my Independence activities on all social media, follow #IndSaloneTurns53
April 27, 1961 is Sierra Leone’s Independence Day.


Day 15: Haja Zainab Hawa Bangura
UN Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, and former Sierra Leone Presidential Candidate
Haja Zainab Hawa Bangura
Click photo to enlarge

Day 16: Alice Matta Fefegula
First women to represent Sierra Leone at the Miss World pageant (in 1986)
Alice Matta Fefegula
Click photo to enlarge

Day 17: First Lady Mrs. Sia Nyama Koroma
The First Lady of the Republic of Sierra Leone
First Lady Mrs. Sia Nyama Koroma
Click photo to enlarge

Day 18: Dr. Ola Elsie Palmira During
One of Sierra Leone's first women medical doctors (pikin dokta)
Dr. Ola Palmira Elsie During
Click photo to enlarge
The photo above of me carrying the baby boy (Mohamed) standing next to his mother (Yeama) was when I visited Ola During Children's Hospital in May 2013, and got to interact with the patients, nurses, matrons, doctors, and staff of the hospital.

Day 19: Geography and Climate of the Republic of Sierra Leone
The beautiful and diverse geography, and amazing climate of Sierra Leone
Geography and climate of Sierra Leone
Click photo to enlarge
The photo above of me was taken at IMATT, Freetown last year during my official Homecoming to Sierra Leone as Miss Sierra Leone USA. Feeling like I was on top of the world while being up there, I saw it fitting to take a few pictures up on the mountain after enjoying the view and cool breeze. Sierra Leone truly is a beautiful blessed land.

Day 20: Religiously-tolerant Sierra Leone
The Republic of Sierra Leone prides itself in being a religiously-tolerant nation
Click photo to enlarge
Religious-tolerance is one of the great things I love about my country. Growing up in Sierra Leone, there was never a conflict due to religion. Followers of religions practiced and co-existed with love and in harmony. If you recall last year, I participated in the Eid-ul-Fitr prayers while I was in Kono District for my summer internship at Koidu Limited - Octea Mining. Even though I am a Christian, I participated in this event and so did some other non-Muslims. It is also common to see Muslims do vice versa during Christian holidays and observations. Just like the photo above, it is common to see a Church right next to a Mosque in Sierra Leone.

Day 21: Sierra Leone Coat of Arms
The Coat of Arms of the Republic of Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone Coat of Arms
Click photo to enlarge

I have said again and again that attitudinal change is a change of our hearts and our minds. Now is the time for all of us to work together to promote change for the good of [Sierra Leone]. This can be attempted and can be achieved. - First Lady Mrs. Sia Nyama Koroma.


Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page
Follow me on Twitter @MissSaloneUSA
Follow me on Instagram @MissSierraLeoneUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...