Friday, April 18, 2014

Miss Sierra Leone USA Hosts 2014 Big Voice of Salone Awards

Hello world!!!

I hope you and yours are doing well. I have been busy but happy and blessed! A couple weeks ago, I attended The BIG Voice of Salone Awards in Maryland. This inaugural Recognition Award and Dinner event was created by African Radio Salone. Besides attending the event, I got to serve as co-host and had a great time with the audience. My funny and talented co-hosts were musicians and twins Mohamed and Amadu Dumbuya of Fulani Twins.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Ms. Fatima Muna Koroma (Author and Poet), Mr. Mohamed Dumbuya, Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson, and Mr. Amadu Dumbuya
The BIG Voice Of Salone Awards or TBVOSA is an annual event that aims to celebrate and recognize the hard work, commitment and creativity of Sierra Leoneans in our community. The Award show recognized Sierra Leoneans at home and abroad in Entertainment, Media, Non-Profits, Politics, Business, Athletics, Social and Community Service, and many more.
Executive team of African Radio Salone (left-right):
Al-Hassan Hafiz Bakarr, Sr., Safietou Diop, Ken Lowe, and Edward Kargbo
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Al-Hassan Hafiz Bakarr Sr. is the Founder/CEO of Mama Africa Productions LLC which owns African Radio & African Radio TV. According to Mr. Bakarr, the purpose of African Radio Salone is "to give Sierra Leone and Sierra Leoneans a BIG Voice, our goal was and is to be for and about the community, to support everyone without bias or favoritism." So in commemoration with the three-year anniversary of African Radio Salone, the organization created the inaugural Big Voice Of Salone Award this year.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Below is a photo of me sitting next to my best friend (Doris) of almost 10 years; it was great having her by my side and coming along to the event with me. She has been very supportive of me as Miss Sierra Leone USA, and she was actually one of my two dear friends that were with me backstage during the Miss Sierra Leone USA pageant. She helped me in and out of my clothes, fixed my make-up, arranged my accessories, gave me pep talks and hugs, fed me water to hydrate, and lots of moral support that night.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014, Queen Ruby's guest and friend (Doris), and Ms. Claudia Temple
On this evening, there were more than 50 award nominees and over 25 awards presented. Some winners of the night were: Mrs. Isha Johansen (Sportswoman of the Year); Salifu Kamara (Voice of the Voiceless); Omar Rafik (Padi of the Year); Nurses from Hell (Movie of the Year), Wendy Bangura (Actress of the Year), Claudia Temple (Corporate Citizen of the Year), Giileh Kebbie Scholz (Pioneer of the Year), Nasser Ayoub (Artist of the Year), Janet Laggah-Bona (Small Voice of the Year), Salone True Fans (Media Company of the Year), and many more!
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014
Some of the performers at the event include: drummer Kutay Turay; singer Red Wyne, singer Mrs. Giileh Kebbie Scholz, rapper and poet Chosan, poet Fatima Muna Koroma, African Emperor, dancers Chaka Bum, reggae artist JayArr, and many more.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Winner of The BIG Voice of Salone Award was none other than Mr. David Buakei Vandy, my honorary father. He was recognized for not only his work as a broadcaster on Voice of America, but also his contributions to the arts and entertainment segments of Sierra Leone, and always promoting and supporting Sierra Leonean culture and individuals in the diaspora.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
CONGRATULATIONS to all the nominees and award recipients of the night. Hearing the biography of these individuals that evening just reminded of how remarkable Sierra Leoneans are and leaving a mark in whatever part of the world they reside. All of them are doing phenomenal things in all work of life, and I wish them all the best in their endeavors. Thank you to African Radio Salone for inviting me as host, and I wish them all the best in their remarkable efforts.
Founder/President of African Health Initiative Inc. and Award winner Ms. Claudia Temple and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. Mahatma Gandhi

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page
Follow me on Twitter @MissSaloneUSA
Follow me on Instagram @MissSierraLeoneUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...