Tuesday, April 15, 2014

March 2014: Miss Sierra Leone USA Celebrates Women's History Month (Part II)

Hello world!!!

I hope you and yours are doing well. I've been doing great, thanks be to God! During Women's History Month, this March, I have done many interviews and involved in conversations regarding the status and endeavors of women in Sierra Leone, United States, and worldwide. As you may know, I am the Founder/CEO of When You Believe Foundation, Inc., my platform as Miss Sierra Leone USA is advocating for SHERO and advocating for the recruitment and retention of girls and women in STEM, and overall I am very passionate about women's issues. Below are some of my activities during the month of March advocating for girls and women.
She Can Do It!
Ruby B. Johnson, Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 and Founder/CEO of When You Believe Foundation, Inc.

"Dialogue Show Going Global" on TPN Radio
On March 15th, I was a guest on the Dialogue Show Going Global on TPN Radio. This program is broadcast live on TPN radio online at 7pm (Sierra Leone time) and besides using a computer, listeners can use their cellphone by dialing a number or TuneIn. Listeners also have the option to call the show and ask questions or participate in the discussion. I was invited to talk about women's empowerment, my vision for Sierra Leonean girls & women, being Miss Sierra Leone USA, When You Believe Foundation, Inc., and many more. The interview was conducted by Abu Mankota, and lasted for an hour; the entire show was done in Krio. During my interview, I talked about: the importance of Women's History Month and what it means to me; the need for more Sierra Leoneans taking leadership roles and working in the mining industry, as well as studying mining in higher education; my advocacy for the recruitment and retention of girls and women in STEM; the segments of competition and my personal platform at the Miss Sierra Leone USA pageant, as well as the upcoming pageant in August; the work When You Believe Foundation, Inc. has been doing in the United States for girls and women with our in-person sessions, our social media initiatives, and plans to expand to Sierra Leone and other nations; my mining internship experience last year in Kono District, Sierra Leone with Koidu Ltd; my decision to learn the Arabic language, and the importance of communication in the corporate world; my future plans after my reign as Miss Sierra Leone USA; and many more! Overall, this was a great interview and may I say one of my favorites so far because the conversation really helped Mankota and listeners really get to know me and what I stand for!
Land That We Love - Our Sierra Leone

World Ebony Network's Peace Talks
On March 22nd, I was a guest on World Ebony Network's Peace Talks program, and the topic was the "Role of Women in Conflict Nego­ti­a­tion and Peaceful Community Settlements." World Ebony Network’s "mission is to strengthen the African-descendant family and to appreciate the good aspects of other cultures" (WEN). Hosted by Dr. Ezi Mecha (Executive Director/Founder of World Ebony Network), my fellow guests were: Dr. Fran­cisca Nkadi, Dr. Kanayo Odel­uga, and Dr/​Mrs. Chinyere Odeluga. During the show, we talked about how certain African traditional practices of our ancestors can be applied in our communities today and used to deal with conflicts today .i.e., Boko Haram, Central African Republic killings, South Sudan situations, Black on Black crime in the United States, African American and Black immigrant relationships, etc. Drs. Odeluga talked and Dr. Nkadi about the role of women in instances such as the Aba Women's Riots and Igbo women's roles in their communities in Nigeria, the importance of Ubuntu in nation-building, and many more. Being the youngest panelist and only Sierra Leonean, I talked about: what identity means as a Sierra Leonean (African) and American; the role of women in Sierra Leone's early history, as well as during and after Sierra Leone's former civil war; how I advocate for African pride in the United States as Miss Sierra Leone USA, activism in the African Students Association at my university, and in my community; the need to abolish statements that African women are oppressed, and reactions to my decision to be in a career (mining engineering) dominated by men; the culture of young Black men "sagging" their pants; the need for open dialogue between African parents and children in the diaspora; the introduction of globalization and technology, and its impact on the African youth; the importance of preserving culture and African pride regardless of where individuals may find themselves in the world; and many more. Listen to the entire interview in this link.

Virginia Tech's Take Back The Night 2014
On March 27th, I attended Virginia Tech's 25th Annual Take Back The Night Rally and March on the university's campus and around the town of Blacksburg. This Women's History Month event is organized by Womanspace, Virginia Tech's premier feminist organization; I am a member of this awesome organization. For the second year in a row, my amazing organization (When You Believe Foundation, Inc.) served as one of the sponsoring organizations and I proudly wore my WYBF t-shirt for the event; I also got to lead the chants during the March around the town using a bullhorn (lost my voice afterwards, but loved the experience). Take Back The Night is an effort to unite the community to protest violence against women. I recited an original poem on violence against women at the rally three years ago, and I hosted the event two years ago. At this event, various members of the university, Blacksburg, and New River Valley community talk about the prevalence of violence against women (and men) and the need to end this plague in our various communities; survivors also share their stories. Behind me in the photo below is a little piece of the Clothesline Project. The Clothesline Project includes hundreds of t-shirts that were made by victims and survivors of violence, and some by their loved ones. The t-shirts are color-coded and range from domestic violence, rape and sexual assault, violence against women for their sexual identity, incest, death from violence, and many more.
Ruby B. Johnson, Founder/CEO of When You Believe Foundation, Inc. and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014
Since coming to Virginia Tech, I've become fond of this very empowering event and it always brings a multitude of emotions for me. If you ever get an opportunity to be in an area that hosts Take Back The Night, I highly recommend you attend. It's a great event worth your time, and please spread the message when you leave.
We Can Do It!
We're Women, We're Strong, We've Got The Power, WOMAN POWER!
Here's an excerpt from the poem I wrote three years for Take Back The Night rally:
It's okay to TALK about it
You may not get to HEALING instantly but you will get there
Your true BEAUTY and STRENGTH will shine through in your healing process
She did it, YOU can do it, we will do it with you
YOUR body, your decisions, your rights
SURVIVORS get your woman power back
You're BEAUTIFUL, you're STRONG, remain EMPOWERED!
- Ruby B. Johnson, Why I Took Back The Night


Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page
Follow me on Twitter @MissSaloneUSA
Follow me on Instagram @MissSierraLeoneUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...