Saturday, June 22, 2013

Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013 Homecoming - Week 2 (Part I)

Hello world!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well. I'm doing well, thanks to the Almighty. As promised, I'll be writing detailed blogs about my adventures during my recent Homecoming Trip to Salone as Miss Sierra Leone USA; read my preview blog post. On Monday (May 6th) morning, I visited Pauline Community Primary School and got to interact with the students and teachers.
Class 1 and Nursery students with Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
SMILE! Let me see your teeth!
Class 1 students and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Class 1 and Nursery students with Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
During my visit, even though I told the students my real name they preferred calling me "princess." I thought that was very cute, and told them they were Sierra Leonean princesses and princes too!
"SMILE! Let me see your teeth!"
Nursery students and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Nursery students and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Nursery girls and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Mabinty (Head Teacher) and
Miss Katherine (Teacher) with
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Nursery and Class 1 students with Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
The photo above was taken during the time the Pauline Community Primary students were singing and acting out some of their class songs for me. It reminded me of my nursery and reception days in primary school at Akibora and Murraydeen. The fact that I remembered most of the words for these songs and sang along made me feel really good and connected with them.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson with Nursery student
In the photo above, I was interacting with one of the shy little ladies in the nursery class. As you can see in the background, the students were blowing their multicolored balloons from one of the nursery songs they've learned.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson with Class 4 and Class 5 students
Left-Right:
Mr. Kamara (Class 4 teacher),
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson,
and Mr. Kamara (Class 5 teacher)
Mr. Kamaras (Class 4 and Class 5 teachers),
Ms. Leni (Pauline School Sponsor), and
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and Ms. Leni (School sponsor)
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson with Class 4 and Class 5 students
I loved answering the multitude of questions the students had, and was very inspired by the brilliance of the girl students. As a current student and having my platforms of advocating for SHERO (Service, Health, Education, Rights, Opportunities) as well as advocating for the recruitment and retention of girls and women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields, I was very impressed by the students and reassured that the future of our nation is brighter with leaders like these!
Class 4 students and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson with Class 2 and Class 3 students
Class 3 student, Ms. Kargbo, and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013
The sweet young girl in the picture above made me a paper boat and gave it to me as a gift and told me how much she admired me and appreciated my visit to their school. I had a great time meeting all the students at the school, and was very honored to have been invited to meet Ms. Leni's amazing children!


Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...