Saturday, June 29, 2013

Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012-2014 Hosts 2013 Queen of Africa Pageant

Hello world!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well. I've been very busy (as usual), but happy and feeling blessed for every moment. I hope you all have been reading my recent posts about my official Salone 2013 Homecoming Trip as your Miss Sierra Leone USA; I made a variety of visits, and took lots of photos to share with you all. Due to the fact that I have been occupied with blogging about the Homecoming, I'm behind on a couple of events I have done since my return from Sierra Leone, so let's play catch-up now on one of those events! On Sunday, June 2nd, I hosted the inaugural 2013 Queen of Africa USA Business Pageant.
2013 Queen of Africa finalist - Miss Sierra Leone Mamie Miatta Sandy and
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012-2014 Ruby B. Johnson (Host of QOA Pageant)
In the photo above, I am pictured with our beautiful Queen of Africa finalist who represented Mama Salone. Miss Miatta carried herself with pride, confidence, intelligence, and waved our Green.White.Blue flag with respect and honor. She embodied the true essence of a phenomenal Sierra Leonean woman, and I couldn't have been more proud. Whether Ms. Miatta plans to pursue to more pageants (which I think she should) or not, she definitely has a bright future! Our Queen was also the Best in Evening Gown winner at the Pageant; the beautiful gown in the photo.
2013 Queen of Africa USA Business Pageant Contestants in the evening gowns
This pageant is created by Swadu Natasha Beckley, our former Miss World Sierra Leone 2011-2012 and Miss Sierra Leone DC/USA 2008-2010. According to Ms. Beckley, the purpose of this pageant is to promote young African women entrepreneurs, and the winner gets $3,000 to start her own business, sponsor a charity of her choice, or use the fund to further her education. Representing 10 countries of the West, Central, and Southern Africa regions, the 12 phenomenal finalists performed with excellence on stage and rightfully represented each of their nations and the African continent. Although I have only been part of one pageant, which is where I won the title of Miss SLUSA, I could relate to what the contestants were going through. It takes a lot of bravery to stand on that stage, but it is also great honor for them to have earned their country's sashes on that night! Once again, I'll like to congratulate all the finalists on a job well done. With fantastic African women like these, I see excellence and nothing less for Mama Africa and the world as a whole!
Left-Right:
Alice Gyamfi (2013 Miss Africa USA finalist - Ghana),
Elizabeth Chitseko (2013 QOA finalist - Zimbabwe),
and Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012-2014 Ruby B. Johnson
I was honored to have been invited to host this pageant, and had a great time; the audience even got to see some of my awesome Salone and African dance moves (such as azonto). Besides talking about the finalists and purpose of the QOA Pageant while hosting, I spoke about: my platform of advocating for SHERO, as well as advocating for the recruitment and retention of girls and women in STEM fields; the importance of having a platform during a titleholder's time of service; breaking the stereotypes and misconceptions of pageants and titleholders; and many more.
Here's a video below of my speech while talking about platforms and pageantry:
Congratulations to the beautiful QOA Finalist - Senegal Zeyna Cisse who was crowned 2013 Queen of Africa USA. She's a beautiful, eloquent, and intelligent woman who spoke with passion and conviction of her platform, as well as wonderfully represented her nation with elegance and confidence throughout the pageant. I wish her all the best during her reign and in her future endeavors. Also, congratulations to QOA finalist - Zimbabwe Elizabeth Chitseko who was crowned Princess of Southern Africa USA, QOA finalist - Cameroon Cynthia Talla Demgueu who was crowned Princess of Central Africa USA, and QOA finalist - Mali Niamoye Toure who was crowned Princess of West Africa USA. Congratulations to QOA finalist - Sierra Leone Mamie Miatta Sandy who won Best in Evening Gown, QOA finalist - Ghana Megan Asafo-Agyei who won the People's Choice (via instagram voting), and QOA finalist - Congo Brazaville Kiesse Doulou who won Miss Congeniality.
2013 Queen of Africa USA Zeyna Cisse and her court

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...