Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013 Homecoming - Week 2 (Part II)

Hello world!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well. I'm doing fantastic, thanks to the Almighty. As promised, I'll be writing detailed blogs about my adventures during my recent Homecoming Trip to Salone as Miss Sierra Leone USA; read my preview blog post. On Tuesday (May 7th) morning, I visited the Embassy of the United States of America and had a meeting with Ambassador Michael Owen, U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Sierra Leone. As a U.S. Citizen, it was fitting for me to pay a courtesy call to the Ambassador and officially talk about my Homecoming trip. At the meeting, I spoke about the purpose of my Homecoming trip, my reasons for getting involved with the MSLDC Inc. organization and the Miss Sierra Leone USA Pageant, my  platforms as Miss Sierra Leone USA, my endeavors as a mining engineering student, and many more. Ambassador Owen was very welcoming and expressed his excitement to meet me, and also discussed the importance of Sierra Leone-USA relationships, and the importance of Sierra Leone’s diaspora to both countries. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a photo with the Ambassador with my camera due to the fact that their a zero-tolerance for cameras at the embassy but a photo was taken by the embassy's photographer and I'll share it when I receive it in my inbox!

On Thursday (May 9th) morning, I visited Rokupa Government Hospital. As a daughter of a nurse who loves and cares for her patients, members in the healthcare sector are very important to me and that is why I made it a priority to visit these medical institutions, interact with the patients, and express my gratitude to the medical practitioners and hospital staff. In addition, in my personal platform (advocating for SHERO), H is for health. Also, the national platform of the Miss Sierra Leone USA Pageant is improving infant and maternal health in Salone.
Left-Right:
Matron Binty Bangura,
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson,
and Matron Hawa Janneh
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and nurses of
Rokupa Government Hospital in the antenatal clinic
At midday, I visited The Sierra Leone Psychiatric Hospital in Kissy. This hospital was opened in 1823, one of the oldest psychiatric institutions in West Africa, and the only institution in mental health in Sierra Leone that caters to patients who come from all districts of the nation. During my visit, Dr. A. Muana (the hospital's medical superintendent) discussed the institution's history, its challenges, the importance of mental health in our nation, and many more. I got to visit the female and male wards, and interact with the patients in the 6/10 wards that are primarily used at the moment. Getting to interact with the patients brought a lot of emotions for me because on one end, I was happy to see that the hospital is a great resource for those that need mental health care and have the opportunity to have a healthier future; this hospital provides free healthcare to all patients. However, it was difficult to see how young and vibrant most of the patients were, most of them were 30 years old and younger, and primarily men. In addition, this hospital also caters to individuals dealing with drug abuse and used as a rehabilitation center due to the fact that Sierra Leone currently does not have drug rehabilitation centers. The hospital has very few mental health professionals, and some nurses do their practicals at this institution; I got to meet them and thank them for their service.
I'm pictured below with Matron Anneiru K. Braimah, who kindly gave me a tour of the hospital. Besides my interaction with the patients and nurses, I also got to see and express my gratitude to the kitchen staff. Their role in cooking nutritious food for the patients is very relevant, and they are a key contribution in the development of the hospital. I am very grateful to have had a chance to visit this institution, especially since I know the importance and relevance of mental health in a community, and I plan to help raise awareness on this sector as well as the hospital. Hopefully this post will inspire you to do the same as well.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and Matron Anneiru K. Braimah
Later that afternoon, I visited the United Methodist Health and Medical Services; this institution has a general hospital and an eye clinic. During my visit, I visited the various wards of the hospital and interacted with the patients in the female and male wards, meet and thank the nurses, doctors, and staff for their dedicated service to the welfare of the patients. In the photo below, I'm pictured with little baby Gifty, who was just a few days old. Baby Gifty and her mother, Yeabu, currently benefit from our nation's free healthcare system for pregnant women, lactating mothers, and children 5 years old and below.
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and baby Gifty
"The soul is healed by being with children"
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 and nurses of United Methodist Health hospital
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and Mr. Johanes (son of one of the nurses)
Miss Sierra Leone USA 2013-2014 Ruby B. Johnson and the hospital's pharmacists
Overall, I had a productive day that was very informational. I'm grateful for the knowledge I gained at all institutions, and ability to have been given this opportunity. I hope to give back in some way from this experience.

Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Sierra Leone USA.

Like my Facebook Page & Follow me on Twitter (@MissSaloneUSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...